Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My Findings

I have been doing more and more research on my topic and although its been very depressing and disturbing my topic is something I've become a little obsessed with. I found myself thinking about it today in my class and wondering "How many children were kidnapped from their families today in Africa?" Its wierd, I know, but I recently just started reading this biography A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmal Beah, and it's almost impossible for me to put down. I've also been online going on the websites of certain charity organizations that post the stories of some of the children that were lucky enough to make it out alive. Stories about soldiers forcing the younger boys to rape and murder women in order to make them stronger just made me sick to my stomach, and it made me realize how sheltered my life is and how ignorant people are to this issue. The more and more I learn about this topic the more and more I appreciate the place I was born into to. Another issue is my disappointment in the actions of other countries that are watching this occur and have yet to do something to end it. After almost nothing was done about the Genocide in Rwanda and the many children that were used in battle most would think that when a second Genocide occurs this time in Darfur people would realize that hundreds of thousands of children are holding guns and being forced to murder innocent people. I have also researched the organizations that are trying to end this disgusting trend but it's very difficult to control these armed forces in foreign nations.

No comments: